The Association continues to welcome an exceptional group of guest Speakers. One of the many benefits of membership is the opportunity to take workshops from top quilters in the industry. Workshop participation is limited to SCVQA members unless the class has not filled 30 days prior to class. Non-members are invited to sign up at that time if vacancies exist. Workshop prices vary by instructor and reflect actual costs.
Registration begins 3 months prior to each workshop. To register for a workshop, complete the SCVQA Workshop Registration Form from the latest guild newsletter and bring it with your check to a general meeting, board meeting, or mail it to the indicated Programs Chair. You can email the form to Programs but your spot will not be secured until your check is received. Spaces in the workshops fill on a first come, first served basis and workshops usually accommodate 20 students. Any registrations received beyond 20 are automatically wait-listed in the order they are received.
To register by email, please send your name, phone number, specify which workshop you wish to take, to and confirm that you are mailing payment.
For more information about workshops please contact .
Workshops are held at:
Westhope Presbyterian Church
12850 Saratoga Avenue (just north of the intersection with Cox) Saratoga, CA 95030
Use the third driveway north of Cox to enter the church parking area.
Many workshops have a specific supply list provided by the instructor. A basic supply list suitable for most workshops is:
- Sewing Machine. Sewing machine that you are familiar with and that is in good working order.
- Iron/Ironing Board. A minimum of three small ironing boards and irons will be provided by SCVQA, but you may want to bring your own if you have a small, portable board and iron with low wattage.
- Water and lunch. Workshops break for lunch. You will have more time to visit with the teacher and other students if you do not have to go out for lunch.
- Ziplock bags or Project Box. These are useful for taking your project or its pieces home.
- Chair pad. The chairs can be a little hard to sit in for hours of sewing. Consider bringing a pad to put on the chair either to adjust the height or cushion the chair.
- Small light for your work area. These might not be necessary in our new location, Westhope Presbyterian.
- Small paper bag for trash at your work area.
Instruction begins at the listed start time. To select a work area and set up before instruction begins, please arrive 10-15 minutes early.
Spider Web Quilt Class
Jean Impey visits SCVQA with her trunk show, Find your Passion, on January 22, 2018. The meeting takes place at 9 AM at the First Congregational Church in San Jose.
Then on January 23, 9:15am till 3:45pm, join Jean at her class, Spider Web. Use up those scraps or plan your quilt using a controlled palette of fabrics. Both the quilt and pillow version will be explained. This class is $45 for SCVQA members and will be at West Hope Church in Saratoga.
Lyric Kinard joins us February 26 to speak on the Elements of Art. This Teacher of the Year and award winning artist will help share her strategies for finding Joy, creating Beauty and being Inspired. Be prepared to be uplifted and energized.
Continue your journey with the class, Abstract-A-Licious, as Lyric gently guides us through simple and concrete design exercises designed to help us create ideas for original abstract quilts. Doodles will be scribbled, eyes and minds will be opened, fun will be had.
As predicted, the Tuesday, February 27th class filled immediately but a second class is now available on Wednesday, February 28th. We anticipate this class will likewise fill so send your registration, along with $55, promptly to Gayle Visher.
The February 28th class will be held as the Tanglewood Club House, 4690 Adamo Drive, San Jose 95136
See the Meetings page for the list of past speakers.